Writ of Garnishment of Wages

The Judgment Group

A wage garnishment means that a portion of the judgment debtor's pay will be diverted to pay the judgment until the judgment is paid in full.

To initiate a wage garnishment, file a Request for Garnishment on Wages, Form DC-CV-065, with the court - which must include

the name and address of the debtor's employer and all amounts due on the judgment including costs, fees and interest.

If properly submitted to the court with the required fee, a Writ of Garnishment of Wages gets issued which must be served upon the Employer Garnishee along with instructions from the court directing the Employer to withhold a portion of  the debtor's wages to satisfy the judgment.

The Garnishee has 30 days to answer the Writ of Garnishment indicating whether the debtor is employed, the rate of pay and prior attachments or garnishments, as each is paid in full by the Employer based on the order received. If a prior garnishment exists, the new one does not go into effect until the earlier one is satisfied. However, the new wage garnishment is valid as long as the debtor is employed and the judgment remains unpaid.

NOTE:  The Employer Garnishee must remit any wages withheld directly to the Judgment Creditor as the court will not accept any judgment payments.